Starlight A story by David R. 'Nutzoide' King Chapter 00: The Faint Flicker It could easily be said that Jei Tazenten was a fighter. She'd fought against most of what life had decided to give her, ever since her rather premature birth. It wasn't that she was a brawler, in fact at first sight someone might have considered her meagre despite her slightly stock frame if they didn't know better, it was that she didn't agree with what most people laughingly called a life. Grow up in school, make friends, get angry with them, make up, get a job, find a guy, settle down and raise a family, grow old together, die. It didn't make any sense to her, and nor did life ever go that smoothly. A fantasy they created to keep themselves content. Not that she had made anything better for herself. She was just living by numbers, doing what she wanted when something came up and going with it because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Most of the time it never really felt like she had any other choice. And now it seemed that life was fighting back. She stared out of the main window of her ship, the Moonlight, at the slowly vanishing vessel that had brought her to her knees. Five pirate attacks in the last two deliveries. One of them had been bound to get her. The Moonlight was only a small cargo ship, barely room for four crewmembers, although Jei had never taken on another person in her life. She just transported small stuff from one place to another, day in, day out, filling her spare travel time with pulp space station novels she was too cynical to really enjoy. To her 'adventure' was just another word for stupidly dangerous missions. Only the brave or idiotic craved those. She didn't know what love was. As far as she knew, that was just something arbitrary that seemed to happen to other people. She couldn't understand what the characters saw in their need for constant companionship. She was happy alone. Other people just got in the way and complicated things, just like that stupid teenager she had agreed to ferry across half her route. That girl had been nothing but trouble, even if she had paid well. She gave a retching cough as more blood trickled its way down her throat, forcing her attention back to the retreating ship. She may have been beaten, but she was not finished yet. She focused her energy and forced herself onto her front, giving a cry of pain as her mangled stomach made contact with the metal lattice that made up the floor. She lay there panting, listening to the slow drip of her own blood falling down onto the piping and electrical casings underneath the floor, gathering below her in a massive pool of red. She stretched her arm out to grab the lattice, curling her fingers around the metal and slowly crawling forwards, her right leg trailing uselessly behind her. She assumed she must be in shock by now as she slowly inched her way across the floor. Most of the pain had faded into a background ache, and only the bullet in her gut still let her know she really was dying. With a final burst of strength she managed to pull herself up into the pilot's chair of the cockpit, but this was the last thing she knew she could do. She was totally spent. However, she had always been cautious about the safety of her cargo and she allowed herself a small smile as she painfully reached forwards from the seat and unhooked the small plastic case over the switch she was aiming for. It wouldn't exactly teach them a lesson, but it would ensure they could never to this again. She flicked the switch, and out in space the small red speck that was the ship that had crippled the Moonlight erupted in a flash of brilliant white. Jei thought very lowly indeed of pirates, whatever they called themselves. She closed her eyes. Her mind was playing tricks on her again. Her rational side sounded far more real now she couldn't think clearly. she thought back. Having conversations with herself was nothing new to her. She didn't have anyone else to talk to, so it made perfect sense really. In fact, it was strange that she wasn't speaking this one out loud. It was almost a poetic irony that it was her rational side that was the most cynical, and the one she was always having to justify herself to. Jei smiled at herself, And for once it was the dreamer inside her that won. There was nothing to stop it. No need to pretend her life was worth living. Now, in her final moments, she could let herself wish she had been one of those characters and imagine herself in that life she privately envied. This time there was no need for internal hatred for gratifying fantasies that would, or perhaps could, never come to pass. She didn't have to go back to the real world. Some people might have pitied her, but Jei would have had none of it. As self-deprecating as she was, this was her life and she wouldn't have accepted pity for it. This was how she liked it. Now she was actually getting to die, she didn't really want to just yet. At least not like this, bleeding to death in a hallucinogenic cocktail of sentimentality and wishful thinking. That was nothing like the Jei she knew. Jei was the cold loner who just passed through, doing her job and moving on to the next, invisible to all but her clients. Why say anything if there wasn't anything worth saying? She could say she hated her life because there was so much she seemed incapable of feeling, but did she really want anything more? She never had before. And even if she did, would she actually know what to do with it? She began to feel herself fall asleep, slipping sideways in the chair, and she tried to open her eyes again for a brief moment. Still just the blackness of space, dotted with the pinpoints of stars hung in the void. Was that star moving? She never really got to think about it as her eyes fell closed again. Losing consciousness had never felt so good. She didn't hurt any more. *** To Be Continued...